Taking your first solo trip can be very scary. The fear of being alone in another city or country can overwhelm you and almost make you not take a trip. But, time waits for no man or woman. If you want to do something, you have to take a leap. The only time that matters is now, yesterday is gone and tomorrow does not exist…yet. So if you’re reading this you must be curious about meeting people when you’re alone or you’ve already decided to take the plunge and want some quick tips. These are the things that have worked for me in various countries….
- Be confident.
- Be yourself. People can sense it when you’re trying to be something you are not.
- Smile. No one wants to talk to a person who looks mean…
- Just say hi. Starting a conversation is the hardest part…
- Look for conversation starters…I spent half a day with a young lady in Bali because she complimented me on my braids.
- Use your intuition. You shouldn’t try to talk to everyone…all the time. Look for social cues.
The worst someone can do is not talk to you. That happens…but oh well. There are billions of people in the world. If you have the courage to book a flight, drive a car, book a hotel and go on tours alone you’re probably pretty interesting. Plus, there are many solo travelers in the world who are probably just as curious about you as you are about them.